13 Major Adult social roles in contemparary society defined by James, Witte & Galbraith (2006)
• Friend is the interaction with both females and males
with whom one has chosen to spend time and develop a
• Spouse/Partner includes activities associated with one’s
marriage or intimate relationship involving both couple
and individual identity.
• Kin/Relative role encompasses the relationships and
activities with all relatives other than parents, children,
• Learner role activities relate to the acquisition of knowledge
and the development of learning skills.
• Daughter/Son is one’s adult relationship and activities
with parents/stepparents or with the spouse’s parents/
• Parent includes the relationship and activities relating to
being a father, mother, or stepparent.
• Citizen involves community/civic, environmental, political,
patriotic, or volunteer activities related to neighborhood,
town, state, national, or international social issues/concerns.
• Home/Services Manager role includes activities involved
in acquiring a place to live, managing ordinary household
tasks, handling financial aspects of living, and performing
as a consumer of various services.
• Worker includes activities related to the job for which
one receives pay or still performs although retired.
• Leisure Time Consumer includes the activities undertaken
for recreation or diversion during one’s discretionary
• Religious Affiliate pertains to participating in religious
activities related to one’s beliefs in a spiritual being(s).
• Grandparent role consists of the relationships and activities
related to being a grandparent.
• Association/Club Member includes participation and
activities in organized groups, involving social, civic, fraternal,
athletic, patriotic, and/or auxiliary groups.
James, W. B., Witte, J.E., & Galbraith, M. W. (2006). Havighurst’s social roles revisited. Journal of Adult Development, 13(1).52-60.