Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Getting down to the nitty gritty


Hi everyone, Well its taken me a while to get this map on here so that you can view it. If you click on it, you should be able to see a larger version of it. My concept map was developed after reading Fiske's (2004) chapter on The Self. I have used the map to developed visual representation of some concepts described in the chapter. The map helps me understand how these concepts relate to each other. This is a starting point for my final blog1, it gives me some bearings of where I need to go from here. For my final blog1 I think I need to focus towards factors of my social identity. The factors in concept map all connect to my social identity, however I think the map only shows a small section of a very big picture. I think the process now is going from concepts to examples. I'm trying not to over complicate things.

Here are a few random bits and pieces Ive round around the place that I might be able to use somewhere.

  • Social Identity- A person's definition of who they are, including personal and shared attributes with others. (Baron & Byrne, 2004)
  • Tajfel and Turner 1979- Social Identity Theory- it includes Categorization (i.e male, female, christian, Muslim), identification (member of a group, links self concept) and comparison (between us and others-links to self esteem).
  • Social and individual identity integration- heritage, culture, upbringing, society. http://forbin.qc.edu/mediastudies/mediasite/newtech/notes1.htm
  • Looking glass self- seeing our self through the eyes of others, - links to self presentation
  • Social roles- sister, daughter, friend, student ect http://www.sociology.org.uk/p2s4a.htm
Hopefully I can try and get a bit more structure into this different aspects. Well back to the drawing board for me.
-Kara

Baron, R. A & Byrne, D. (2004). Social Psychology. (10th ed). United States of America. Pearson Education, Inc

Fiske, S. T. (2004). The self: Social to the core. In S. T. Fiske (2004). Social beings: A core motives approach to social psychology. (Ch 5, pp. 169 - 214). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley.

2 comments:

James Neill said...

Kara, It's good to see you've made use of the alternative textbook chapter (Fiske). That seems like a useful framework for mapping out the social self, perhaps with group memberships / social identity added in some way (e.g., we can could see these individual self constructs embedded within group memberships and culture).

This might also be helpful - a few notes on self constructs -

"http://wilderdom.com/self/">http://wilderdom.com/self/

James Neill said...

sorry about the link - try http://wilderdom.com/self/